Forgot your password?
New user?


Healthcare services

If you take residence and work in Denmark you can obtain a health insurance card, which gives you access to public healthcare services funded by taxes.

If you take residence, work and pay taxes in Denmark you have access to public healthcare. This means you can consult a doctor, have treatment at an emergency room or public hospital and a number of other services such as home care, health visitor services and paediatric dental care.

Consultations and treatments are funded by Danish taxes, which mean you do not pay directly for the services if you are registered correctly and have a health insurance card (gult sundhedskort).

How to get a health insurance card

In order to obtain a health insurance card, you need register at the Civil Registration System at International Citizen Service or your local citizen service centre and choose a doctor (general practitioner). You will then receive your personal health insurance card with your Danish CPR number and the doctor’s name, address and telephone number.

Learn more about the Civil Registration System and other important registrations.

Your health insurance card is your access to the Danish healthcare services. This means that you must always bring the insurance card when you visit a doctor, hospital, municipal office and other public services centres.

Until the age of 15 children are covered by the health insurance scheme of their parents. When your child reaches the age of 15, he or she is free to choose a doctor and must be insured separately.

Welcome to Denmark

This welcome guide from Workindenmark contains information for New Citizens about Danish Society as well as useful information which can make it easier for you to settle into professional and private life in Denmark.