Forgot your password?
New user?



As a citizen from the EU, EEA and Switzerland you must apply for a registration certificate within 3/6 months from your arrival.

Citizens from an EU/EEA country and Switzerland are entitled to live and work in Denmark.

You need to apply for a registration certificate within 3 months after your arrival to Denmark (6 months if you are a jobseeker). Then, you must get a Civil Registration number (CPR-number), a health insurance card and a tax card.

All the authorities you typically need to contact are represented at International Citizen Service. So in most cases, you’ll only need to visit an ICS office in Copenhagen, Aarhus Odense or Aalborg to take care of paperwork and find answers to your questions. Otherwise, you have to contact the individual authorities as described in the following.

Registration certificate

A registration certificate is your documentation that you are entitled to live and work in Denmark. You must apply for a registration certificate within 3 months from your arrival to Denmark, if you are planning to stay in Denmark for more than 3 months and you either:

  • have found a job in Denmark,
  • start studying in Denmark,
  • have sufficient resources to support yourself financially,
  • are a self-employed person, or
  • are a family member to one of the above mentioned groups.

You can start working/studying in Denmark during the application period.

It is recommended that you apply for the EU residence certificate as soon as you come to Denmark.

If you are a jobseeker, you are entitled to stay in Denmark for up to six months without applying for a registration certificate. After the 6 months period, you can apply for a registration certificate  based on possessing sufficient funds and stay in Denmark as a job seeker, as long as you can prove that you are still looking for work and have a genuine chance of being hired.

To apply for a registration certificate, you should make a personal appearance at International Citizen Service or the State Administration. You need:

  • Form OD1. (Each family member must fill in form OD1 – incl. accompanying children. The form can be found on the State Administration’s website.)
  • your original passport and/or your national ID card
  • a passport-size photo (two, if you are not an EU/EEA-national and apply for a registration certificate as an eligible family member to an EU/EEA citizen residing in Denmark)

Other documents you need to apply for a registration certificate vary depending on the purpose/basis of your stay. Please check latest information at the State Administration’s website.

CPR registration

After having received your registration certificate, you register your address in the Civil Registration System (CPR) to receive a Civil Registration number (CPR-number). Contact International Citizen Service or the citizen service centre (Borgerservice) at your local municipality. Remember to bring:

  • Registration certificate
  • Original passport or national ID card and its copy
  • Proof of your address in Denmark (e.g. rental contract, letter from landlord)  and its copy
  • Original marriage certificate and its copy if you are married (The marriage certificate and its copy are necessary, even if your partner is not accompanying you.)
  • Divorce/death certificate if you are a widow(er).
  • Original birth certificates and its copy for accompanying children under 18 years

The certificates should be in English, German or Scandinavian.


Health insurance card

When you are registered in the Civil Registration System (CPR), you must choose a doctor (general practitioner). You will receive a health insurance card with your Civil Registration number (CPR-number) and your doctor’s name and address. The health insurance card gives you the right to healthcare services on the same terms as other citizens in Denmark.

Your children are covered by the health insurance scheme together with you until they reach the age of 15 and are insured independently of their parents.

You can find out more about the national health Insurance at - Healthcare.

If you are a cross-border worker with residence in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you can obtain a special health insurance card. You can apply for the special health insurance card at - Cross borders.

If you need medical assistance before you receive a Danish health insurance card, you should use the blue European health card from your home country.

Tax registration

When you start working, your employer must have access to the information from your tax card.

It is necessary to apply for a tax card even if you are not required to have a Civil Registration number (CPR-number).

You can apply for a tax number and tax card by completing tax form 04.063.

Read more about tax registration and how to apply at the website of the Danish Tax and Custom Administration.

Unemployment benefit from another EU/EEA-country

Jobseekers with unemployment benefit from another EU/EEA country or Switzerland must register at one of Workindenmark-centres immediately after arrival in Denmark. Please bring:

  • Form PD U2 from your home country signed by the institution, which pays out your unemployment benefit.
  • Proof of registration as unemployed. As proof of registration as unemployed in Denmark, you create upload your CV on this website. When you have completed your CV, you will be given a reference number. Please bring the reference/CV number, when you register at Workindenmark.

Create your CV on

You find Workindenmark-centres in Copenhagen, Aarhus and Odense. You can also register as a jobseeker with unemployment benefit at the International Citizen Service in Aalborg.

Find addresses and opening hours of Workindenmark-centres in Copenhagen, Aarhus and Odense and Interntional Citizen Service in Aalborg