Forgot your password?
New user?


Citizens from Nordic countries

When you arrive in Denmark, you need a CPR number, a health insurance card and a tax number.

Citizens from Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden may enter Denmark without any restriction to reside, study or work. You do neither need a residence permit nor an EU residence document. But you must register your address the Civil Registration System (Danish: Folkeregister) and get a Civil Registration number (CPR-number), health insurance card and a tax card.

All the authorities you typically need to contact are represented at International Citizen Service. So in most cases, you’ll only need to visit an ICS office in Copenhagen, Aarhus Odense or Aalborg to take care of paperwork and find answers to your questions. Otherwise, you have to contact the individual authorities.

CPR registration

As a Nordic citizen, you are obligated to register in the Civil Registration System (CPR) if you want to reside in Denmark for more than six months. If you expect to reside in Denmark for more than three months, you can still be registered in the CPR.

When you arrive, contact International Citizen Service or your citizen service centre (Borgerservice) at your local municipality. Remember to bring along:

  • Original passport/ID card and its copy
  • Proof of address in Denmark (rental agreement, letter from landlord) and its copy
  • Proof of personal identification number
  • Original marriage certificate and its copy if you are married (The marriage certificate and its copy are necessary, even if your partner is not accompanying you.)
  • Divorce/death certificate if you are a widow(er).
  • Original birth certificates and its copy for accompanying children under 18 years

Health insurance card

When you are registered in the Civil Registration System (CPR), you must choose a doctor (general practitioner). You will receive a health insurance card with your Civil Registration number (CPR-number) and your doctor’s name and address. The health insurance card entitles you to receive healthcare services on the same terms as other citizens in Denmark.

Your children are covered by the health insurance scheme together with you until they reach the age of 15 and are insured independently of their parents.

You can find out more about the national health Insurance at - Healthcare.

If you are a cross-border worker with residence in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you can obtain a special health insurance card.  You can apply for the special health insurance card at - Cross borders

Tax registration

When you start working, your employer must have access to the information from your tax card.

It is necessary to apply for a tax card even if you are not required to have a Civil Registration number (CPR-number).

You can apply for tax card by completing tax form 04.063.

Read more about tax registration and how to apply at the website of the Danish Custom and Tax Administration.

If you do not apply for a tax card, your employer will deduct 55% tax from your salary.