Forgot your password?
New user?


Citizens from a country outside of the Nordic region, EU/EEA or Switzerland

You need to obtain a residence and work permit before arriving in Denmark if you are a citizen from a country outside of the Nordic region, EU/EEA or Switzerland.

Non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens need to obtain a residence and work permit before arriving in Denmark.

Residence and work permit

Before you arrive in Denmark, you need to apply for a residence and work permit for your stay.

There are a number of schemes such as “The Positive List”, “The Pay Limit scheme”, Researchers and guest researchers”, “The Start-up Denmark”.
You can find more information about different schemes and rules on the website

Be aware that the rules will also apply when conducting voluntary or unpaid work.

The application process for a residence and work permit in Denmark is usually 1-3 months.

How to apply

Applications for work and residence permits must typically be submitted to a Danish diplomatic mission, e.g. an embassy or consulate general in your home country. The application form and guidelines may be found If you do not submit your application in person, you must appear in person to have your biometric features (facial image and fingerprints) recorded no later than 14 days from the day you submitted your application. If your application is submitted in a Norwegian diplomatic mission with which Denmark has a representation agreement, you must instead submit your facial photos in person no later than 14 days from the submission of the application.

If you already legally reside in Denmark, you can submit your application for a residence and work permit on,  at a Danish police station or in the Citizen Centre of the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration.

CPR registration

After your arrival to Denmark you register your address in the Civil Registration System (CPR) to receive a Civil Registration number (CPR-number). Contact International Citizen Service or the citizen service centre (Borgerservice) at your local municipality. Remember to bring:

  • Residence and work permit and its copy
  • Original passport/national ID card with photo and its copy
  • Proof of your address in Denmark (e.g. rental contract, letter from landlord)  and its copy
  • Original marriage certificate and its copy if you are married (The marriage certificate and its copy are necessary, even if your partner is not accompanying you.)
  • Divorce/death certificate if you are a widow(er).
  • Original birth certificates and its copy for accompanying children under 18 years

The certificates should be in English, German or Scandinavian.

Health insurance card

When you are registered in the Civil Registration System (CPR), you must choose a doctor (general practitioner). You will receive a health insurance card with your Civil Registration number (CPR-number) and your doctor’s name and address. The health insurance card gives you the right to healthcare services on the same terms as other citizens in Denmark.

Your children are covered by the health insurance scheme together with you until they reach the age of 15 and are insured independently of their parents.

You can find out more about the national health Insurance at - Healthcare.

If you are a cross-border worker with residence in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you can obtain a special health insurance card. You can apply for the special health insurance card at - Cross borders.

If you need medical assistance before you receive a Danish health insurance card, you should use the blue European health card from your home country.

Tax registration

When you start working, your employer must have access to the information from your tax card.

It is necessary to apply for a tax card even if you are not required to have a Civil Registration number (CPR-number) e.g. a cross border commuter.

You can apply for a tax number and tax card by completing tax form 04.063.

Read more about tax registration and how to apply at the website of the Danish Tax and Custom Administration.