NB this listing is an English version of the listing JobID 5093043
A new organist position as conductor of the Herning Boys’ Choir is available at Herning Kirke (Denmark) starting from the 1stof June 2020.
The position is full-time (37 hours/week).
During the past decades Herning Kirke / Herning Church has developed a rich, broad and ambitious music scene. Herning Boys Choir has played a pivotal role in this development and - as part of a generational change and an expansion of the musician staff at the church - we now seek an employee, who is able to secure the continuous development of the Herning Boys Choir as their conductor.
Herning Boys Choir was founded in 1949 and is one of the oldest boys’ and men’s choirs in Denmark. The choir’s main task is to sing at the services in Herning Church. Furthermore, the choir has an extensive concert programme and is part of a lot of different cooperations in Denmark as well as abroad. Within the last couple of years, the choir has sung in, among others places, Notre Dame, Paris; the Sydney Opera House and Carnegie Hall, New York.
The musical profile in the parish is based on and rooted in the classical liturgical tradition with an openness toward and experience with new hymns and rhythmical elements in religious music.
A more detailed description in Danish of the musical scene at Herning Church can be found here, on herningkirke.dk and of the choir – also in an English version - on herningkirkesdrengekor.dk
- Leadership of the Herning Boys Choir, including
- securing the choirs continuous artistic, social and educational development with attention to the individual singer’s well-being and development concomitant with the full choir’s well-being and development
- musical planning of and conducting the choir’s participation in services, concerts, tours etc.
- long term planning of the choir’s repertoire and activities (in cooperation with the choir committee under the church’s parochial council)
- planning and executing the choir’s rehearsals
- ongoing coordination with the choir’s producer and – regarding the musical training of choir members – with the artistic director and the head of education at The Jutland School of Singing
- negotiating with concert venues, musicians, soloists and guest conductors in cooperation with the choir’s producer
- securing and further developing the choir’s local, regional, national and international network of cooperations – choirs, orchestras, conductors, educational institutions and singing professionals in Denmark and abroad
- maintaining and further developing the choir’s public profile locally, regionally, nationally and internationally – preferably in cooperation with the communications department at The Jutland School of Singing
- ongoing dialogue with and development of the network of sponsors and foundations affiliated with the choir
These choir-related tasks will constitute the main part of your portfolio.
- Musical accompaniment of a minor part of the services and ecclesiastical life events linked to the parish
Herning Church is looking for
An ambitious conductor
- with experience – and talent for – leading and conducting choirs and with a sense for the music’s role in service as well as the church’s role in society
- who can take on the artistic, pedagogical and social responsibility for the continuous development and well-being of the Herning Boys’ Choir
- who considers the prospect of further developing the Herning Boys’ Choir in cooperation with the Jutland School of Singing promising
An organist, who is able to musically accompany a minor part of the services and ecclesiastical life events linked to the parish, coordinated with the other organists at the church.
An employee, who wants to cooperate closely with the other organists and be part of a good working relationship with the church’s other employees (the church’s staff policy is available in Danish here).
We expect you to
- have musical training on conservatory or university level
- have professional experience conducting choirs on a high artistic level. We would like you to have experience from or an relationship to other inspiring choir scenes internationally
- have broad knowledge of repertoire for boy’s and men’s choirs
- have flair for the pedagogical dimension in working with the boys
- be linguistically able to instruct children, who only speak Danish
- be good at rehearsal and concert planning
- know the liturgy and musical tradition in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Denmark (Danish National Church)
- have a talent for fund-raising
- consider changing work-hours as a natural part of the job
- be able to play the organ on a level at least equivalent to the Danish “Eksamen i orgel- og korledelse” (formerly “Præliminær Organistuddannelse”)
When reviewing applicants, we will especially consider competence in conducting and leading choirs.
The Instruments in Herning Church
- The main organ was build by Marcussen in 1949 / latest restoration in 2015, 33 stops with 3 manuals and pedalboard
- moveable choir organ build by Henk Klop in 2000 with 6 stops
- choir organ in the sancristy, 4 stops
- Bösendorfer piano build in 2015
- Paccard carillon with 48 bells
About the Herning parish
Herning parish is a growing parish with 8500 people living in it (of whom 7000 are church members) and Herning Church is the center of a committed and broadspectered congregational, service and concert community. The church has 2 full-time and 2 part-time pastors, a parish assistant, a verger as well as his assistants. Moving forward, the church music will be handled by 3 full-time church musician positions. Furthermore are there 2 sacristans, who are shared with the other parishes in town.
More about the church, among other things vision and focus points, can be found on the church’s homepage: herningkirke.dk
Additional information and application
Additional information about the position can be obtained by contacting parochial council member Tobias Ramm Eberlein, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +45 26253274, organist and current conductor of the Herning Boys Choir Mads Bille, email@example.com, tel +45 29929718, the parochial councils contact person Arne Laugesen, tel +45 23232978 or the church’s pastors.
Application and relevant appendices are send to Herning Sogns Menighedsråd, Østre Kirkevej 1, DK-7400 Herning or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org in a letter labelled organist HKD and have to be sent to reach the church no later than 27th of January 2020 at noon.
Interviews, conducting- and organ playing tryouts are expected to take place in week 9 of 2020.
Terms of employment
Employer will be the Herning Sogns Menighedsråd, Østre Kirkevej 1, 7400 Herning.
Terms of employment vary according to educational level.
Organists currently employed as Danish civil servants are entitled to keep their civil servant status when transferring directly between positions. This position would have to be classified in that case.
The employment of formally trained organists will be covered by the collective bargaining agreement for organists between the Ministry of Ecclesiastical Affairs, C10 - Centralorganisationen af 2010 and Dansk Organist og Kantor Samfund (DOKS). The agreement can be found on www.folkekirkenspersonale.dk
The annual salary for applicants with “Eksamen i orgel- og korledelse” (formerly “Præliminær Organistuddannelse”) or equivalent is agreed upon the based on basic pay rate system defined in the collective agreement. Step 1 is DKK 301.113,39 yearly and step 2 is DKK 316.368,23 yearly. The step is decided on the basis of seniority. The availability allowance is DKK 23.411,75 for service at 1 church. The total annual pay is respectively: DKK 324.525 and DKK 339.779,98
The annual salary for applicants with “kirkemusikalsk kandidateksamen” (DOKS), (the Danish masters degree in church music) or equivalent is agreed upon based on the new pay/AC scale, meaning a yearly gross pay between DKK 312.054,56 – DKK380.245,11. The position entitles to a availability allowance. The yearly availability allowance is between DKK 40.150,06 – DKK62.358,40. Pay grade and availability allowance is decided on the basis of seniority. The total annual pay is between DKK352.204,62 and DKK 442.603,51.
All payment levels stated are the 1.10.2019-level for a full-time position. Pay as well as availability allowance will be provided in the same quota as the fraction of employment.
The parochial council informs, that there is a 3 month probation period and that references including criminal records relevant to working with children will be requested as part of the employment process.